Abdullah ibn Amr reported: The Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him, recited the words of Allah the Exalted in the words of Abraham, “My Lord, the idols have misled many of the people, so whoever follows me is from me…” (14:36) and the words of Jesus, upon him be peace, “If you punish them, then indeed they are your servants; but if you forgive them, then indeed You are the Almighty, the Wise.” (5:117). Then he raised his hands and the Prophet said, “O Allah, my nation, my nation!” And he wept. Allah the Exalted said, “O Gabriel, go to Muhammad, and your Lord is most knowing, and ask him why he is crying.” So Gabriel came to him and he asked him and the Prophet told him about it, although Allah is most knowing. Allah said, “O Gabriel, go to Muhammad and say: Verily, We will please you regarding your nation and We will not disappoint you.”
Source: Sahih Muslim 202
Grade: Sahih (authentic) according to Muslim
عَنْ عَبْدِ اللَّهِ بْنِ عَمْرِو بْنِ الْعَاصِ أَنَّ النَّبِيَّ صَلَّى اللَّهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ تَلَا قَوْلَ اللَّهِ عَزَّ وَجَلَّ فِي إِبْرَاهِيمَ رَبِّ إِنَّهُنَّ أَضْلَلْنَ كَثِيرًا مِنْ النَّاسِ فَمَنْ تَبِعَنِي فَإِنَّهُ مِنِّي الْآيَةَ وَقَالَ عِيسَى عَلَيْهِ السَّلَامإِنْ تُعَذِّبْهُمْ فَإِنَّهُمْ عِبَادُكَ وَإِنْ تَغْفِرْ لَهُمْ فَإِنَّكَ أَنْتَ الْعَزِيزُ الْحَكِيمُ فَرَفَعَ يَدَيْهِ وَقَالَ اللَّهُمَّ أُمَّتِي أُمَّتِي وَبَكَى فَقَالَ اللَّهُ عَزَّ وَجَلَّ يَا جِبْرِيلُ اذْهَبْ إِلَى مُحَمَّدٍ وَرَبُّكَ أَعْلَمُ فَسَلْهُ مَا يُبْكِيكَ فَأَتَاهُ جِبْرِيلُ عَلَيْهِ السَّلَام فَسَأَلَهُ فَأَخْبَرَهُ رَسُولُ اللَّهِ صَلَّى اللَّهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ بِمَا قَالَ وَهُوَ أَعْلَمُ فَقَالَ اللَّهُ يَا جِبْرِيلُ اذْهَبْ إِلَى مُحَمَّدٍ فَقُلْ إِنَّا سَنُرْضِيكَ فِي أُمَّتِكَ وَلَا نَسُوءُكَ
202 صحيح مسلم كِتَاب الْإِيمَانِ باب دُعَاءِ النَّبِيِّ صَلَّى اللَّهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ لِأُمَّتِهِ وَبُكَائِهِ شَفَقَةً عَلَيْهِمْ